Nissan just cut 20,000 jobs.
The world is in a depression- That's right. i said it. Global warming is ruining out arable earth, and war is killing our people.
Yet no one really stops in the middle of the sidewalk to look up and wonder anymore. Why is it that our main goal is to ruin the planet and existance of life as we know it? Not just for our grandchildren and great grandchildren, but for every single person on the planet.
I see alot of these wana be pop star teens around the mall and on the street with those must have trendy-fad "go green" shirts, bags, buttons, and other apparel, and I crave to ask one.... so... you bought the shirt... what else have you done? I can be quite honest and say im pretty sure i'm not doing a whole heap. I use public transportation and all my garbage gets separated, but still. Going green is not a fad. Its not a trend. It's a new way of life that will save the planet. Your small emission of fossil fuel when you drive your SUV (my entire family drives them... GUILTY) is changing the way the earth operates. The way you commute, what you eat, what you wear, the gas and electricity you use and even the makeup you wear all have a degrading effect on the earth.
With all this talk of whose administration screwed us over the worst (BIAS: BUSH YOU SUCK- FUCKING WAR) F* em all. Let's stop pushing blame and lets start to rebuild shall we?
I've been reading this awesome book called Hot, Flat and Crowded by Thomas Friedman. And the loser Economist inside me LOVES this book. Its fascinating. its critical, its true. It's everything about the earth (and the way we are running it into the ground) that no one bothers to tell us. You see, the general consensus in this book is that people are afraid to talk about this so called *Global warming* issue because it will turn into a political mess. Gosh darn politics ruin everything. This book is cynical and pushes blame on the real culprits. All of us. The way we live our lives, the way we put capitalism and Nihilism on a higher pedestal than Mother nature or God for that matter. I didn't think this book would be of any interest to me, because i'm not that earthy. But then I realized I am... I camp, I love it. I travel, I never want to leave. I admire all of mother nature and God's handiwork, and as this book points out, if we continue on this trajectory of detrimental behavior, all of this pristine earth and everything that we love in it, will be gone. It is starting to deteriorate at an exponential rate and it's not going to stop unless our behavior changes. It leaves me feeling helpless because I want it to stay like this forever and ever. P.s. I miss thunderstorms. I haven't heard a thunderstorm in a long time. But not a torrential thunderstorm. A nice one. I want the summer to come so I can sleep with the windows open and hear the grasshoppers in the lawn. I haven't heard the grasshoppers in a long time...
I think that supermarkets should start charging for plastic bags...
We have several theories here for the future of the world. We have on one side Samuel Huntingtons theory of the clash of civilization which states
It is my hypothesis that the fundamental source of conflict in this new world will not be primarily ideological or primarily economic. The great divisions among humankind and the dominating source of conflict will be cultural. Nation states will remain the most powerful actors in world affairs, but the principal conflicts of global politics will occur between nations and groups of different civilizations. The clash of civilizations will dominate global politics. The fault lines between civilizations will be the battle lines of the future.
and then on the other side we have Thomas Friedman who says that the world is basically a bad biological experiment. And when we hit the wall the impact would be such as if we weren't wearing any seatbelts or had any airbags. In his own words he sums up that biodiversity bequeaths resilience and without that we can't deal with the "global changes rapidly descending upon us." True. Every twenty seconds another species is becoming extinct. True GLOBAL WARMING. Not political. FACT.
And then in the middle we have others like Nostradamus who says that the world is going to end in 2021 anyway.
I believe that later is too late. So whatever we are going to save, We'd better start saving now.
I have high hopes and plans for my future. However its the state that the world is in right now that puts my mood in a damper. I am still optimistic. I still smile. I still travel and learn. I like books. I like life. I don't think anything can stop that. But when my grasshoppers stop chirping, or my moms eagles stop hanging out on top of the tree at the end of the street, or my Daddy's beloved Fish creek ponds reports the extinction of everylife form living in the creek THEN IM GOING TO BE PISSED. I don't know what the future hold and that scares me. For the time being I will remain confident in the initiative of our generation of youth ( ? ) To be decided.



That was my rant.
I am back in Germany if you couldn't already tell. Classes haven't begun yet they start next week. I arrived on Tuesday and spent the week in bed. Literally. Sleeping off a month of hangovers, food, headaches, and jitters. I stayed up till 5 in the morning and slept till 3 in the afternoon. it's quite a bad cycle to break actually. Most of my work gets done late at night, i'm more inspired. Anywhoo. I've been resting and reading, and sorting through things for the coming semester. it seems like this semester is going to go alot quicker than the first. It's because I know the ropes and know what to expect. That, and I already have most of my trips for the semester planned.
Friday night was the first night that I "Went Out" "Going Out" entails staying out all night, dancing the night away, and getting made up. Well, we went to Nachssicht, which is in heidelberg, Gillian and I, Will and david. It was a fun time. We then trapsed around Heidelberg finding other forms of amusement. It was overall a good night.
The next day we woke up and went to RUGBY! I LOVE RUGBY DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Germany was playing Georgia (Russia) and they lost horribly. The Georgians played a good game. They are darn fierce. Next weekend, On valentines day, there is another game. Germany against Romania. I LOVE ROMANIA! They are in my top three favorite rugby teams. I've been having rugby fever lately. I can't get enough youtube Rugby. I wish I could go to more games. Its a real mans sport. And the mud makes it all that much more obvious.
Valentines Day, I have a date with Schnoox. We are going to Rugby, the spaghetti Opera, and stars.
I can't wait for school to start either. I've picked out my classes already. But I won't tell you what they are until they are finalized. Let me tell you that one of them is " Ausgewählte Themen der Internationalen Beziehungen"
We planned our trip to go see Sydney in March in Coppenhagen and I can't wait! Denmark is going to be a great time! It's by the sea which makes it that much more beautiful. I can't wait to see Sydney, I miss her! And i'm going with Gillian. and everyone knows that road trips are fun!.
For now, i'm just reading, running, sleeping, exploring and relaxing before classes start. There's not much else I can do. But I'll keep you updated.
So i'm not a stalker or dare say Vouyer. But i'm a certified people watcher. I don't get in their way. I just observe serence life from the outside.
I noticed this lady on the tram and couldn't take my eyes off her. She was knitting/sleeping the entire way from Heidelberg back to Mannheim. She was smiling to herself. I thought that was great. But... I wonder what she was thinking...
Till next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment